left our open thread: that Friday

Friday, November 23, 2007

that Friday


That was a great Christmas, the year I didn't actually pay for anything. What was it, '99? $10 off $10, free shipping, buy one get one, free gift with each heavily discounted, ebated, coupon-stacked purchase from virtual storefronts that mostly don't exist anymore. Gee, I wonder.

It's still worth it, though, the pajama'd point-and-click shopping. Yes, it is after noon, and no, I'm not yet dressed, at least not to go out in public. Why bother when I have no intention? I'm getting plenty done. Though I've given up the Wii-ld goose chase initiated by the girl's father (disregard, please, the Wiitracker.com RSS feed on my homepage), I've managed to direct a fair number of brown boxes to the traditional spot on my friend's front porch--and no, I didn't pay for any of that shipping, at least not in the line-item. If only I were this productive at work!

Sure beats the crowds and the cold and the shrill overly everything IT'S CHRISTMAS DAMMIT insistence. Who needs that? I'm no grinch; I'd already bought a couple of gifts before today because they were so right for people that I love; that seems to me more of the spirit than lining up for a crappy $200 desktop, but, whatever rings one's bell. And regardless, let me ease into the rest of it. Here in my quiet house, where I'm not even ready to put up the tree as tradition obligates me to do. Maybe later, after I take a nap in the same spot where I shopped. Can't really do that at Target, at least without drawing the cops.

0 Comments: