left our open thread: Field Trip

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Field Trip


2007 has become the year of the road trip, though I hesitate to say that even in this semi-public. Given that QuikTrip has gas at $2.98 per unleaded gallon, I'm afraid if I publicize this new hit-the-highway habit I might have to give up any claim I have left to smarts.

Like I care.

The going is worth it. Today the mr. is in Nashville to watch a hockey team who plays their home games twenty minutes from our house. Even since September we've done a thousand miles for football, and I've ridden hours upon hours to have someone read from a book and sign it. Can you say anywhere but here? That is a chunk of the appeal. To go be where even the laundry is someone else's problem? Take. me. there, I think. So I use my grown-up powers and do. Or did, you know, that one time. Maybe two. So far.

Today's excursion is far more modest, doesn't require a bag to be packed-- though I should probably check the gas gauge: we'll be driving about an hour. It's Saturday, and I've spent all week in the car, but some things are worth the trip, and sometimes you've just gotta go. The girl is coming with me, and we're both bringing a friend (the company's the best part of a road trip). We're all hyped up even before the fat and sugar, and I expect an excellent introductory-road-trip-for-ten-year-olds time. What's at the other end of the highway? Pancakes! And then a stop at Trader Joe's (got that, Miriam?) where we can buy snacks for the next leg of the journey, 'cause you should always be prepared to just go.

Addendum:

While Trader Joe's was there, of course, and ready to take my money (and clean up the bottles of beer that exploded all over--not my fault, though I was trying to buy them), turns out the pancakes weren't. My source was oh, so sadly mistaken, and our spirits plunged right with our blood sugar.

"We're in training 'til Tuesday," said the no-customer-service manager. "Friends and family only." Given how far we came to get there, you'd think we'd have qualified as friends, but Mr. Pancakes didn't see it that way.

"See you soon!" Um, seems doubtful. We didn't come from across the street.

"Would you like a menu?" To not order from? Time to go now! We. have. got. to. eat! And we did, at some place we'd never been to, that was good if just another chain. And bonus and thank baby Jesus, we made it before noon, before the breakfast menus were put away. So those who wanted breakfast got breakfast. And pancakes! And the rants were pocketed, put away. Good Saturday, good little road trip. And I've got a kitchen full of Trader Joe's still to eat.

0 Comments: