left our open thread: 0-2

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

0-2


"Is Ms. P mad at me?"

That's how she was quoted, but, oh, I don't know. Can I really be mad at someone who lacks the sense to come in out of the rain? Sure wish she'd put up the umbrella, though. Or, you know, remember where she put it. I'm sure she meant to look for it, right after she got home from visiting her dad in prison which is where she went yesterday instead of school . Today there's no sitter, and I feel the wisps of this semester slipping through my fingers. Not that it's really about school at this point, at least for the most part.

It's about being in a place where she can be supported, learn to make decisions, learn to take care of herself and that baby, learn to please baby Jesus break that family's cycle and, yes, part of that would be a high school diploma, but there's so much more than those requirements that she doesn't know. I know that from the questions she spent six weeks asking me. I know that because I know that, just as I know she's one kid who'd be better off if she were here.

Heavy sigh.

It's not that she's quitting, at least not yet, but I'd hoped for a better start. Of all days for a jailhouse visit! It's one thing to have to juggle daycare and high school, and sometimes, I'm sure it will be out of her control. But when daddy's an inmate, he's. always. gonna. be. there. Good grief. Good choices: SOMEBODY needs to make them. Starting any time now. Like, maybe, Monday.

Right?

0 Comments: