left our open thread: not quite that time of year

Saturday, November 17, 2007

not quite that time of year


"So when's it gonna snow?" These kids can never get a handle on the weather, even when they've lived here for years.

"Not for a long, long time," I answer, refusing to remember the one year anniversary of the mother of all ice storms is about three weeks out. Besides, they asked about snow.

They'll love ice if we get it, though, given the inevitable cancellations--at least until the power goes out. Remind me to explain to the new and the forgetful how to find out that there's no school; someone inevitably spends a very cold morning out at the bus stop. Too bad that district doesn't have the innovation my tax dollars have apparently sprung for; according to the letter I opened today, an automated service is going to call every single home phone whenever our district's schools are canceled. I can't decide if that's cool or blasphemy, but I know the first time the phone rings at five in the morning, I'm going to wonder who's dead.

0 Comments: