left our open thread: R.I.P. Evel Knievel

Friday, November 30, 2007

R.I.P. Evel Knievel


Long before there was ESPN, there was the Wide World of Sports. And long before guys like Brett Favre were role models for our nation's youth, there was Evel Knievel. Evel died today, but memories of his death-defying jumps (or attempts) over the fountain at Caesar's Palace or Snake River Canyon live on the minds of my generation. Of all my childhood toys -- from Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots to electric football -- the one I wish I had saved is the Evel Kneivel stunt cycle. It wouldn't compete with today's video games and electronic gizmos, but boy was it cool. It was also Ideal!

1 Comment:

Allison said...

Oooh! We had those, at least the motor--sorry, "stunt"--cycle ones. I had not heard that wind-em-up noise in a long, long time.