left our open thread: One

Thursday, November 08, 2007

One


I think I may have literally closed my eyes and tried to shake the image out of my head when I saw the pre-fab presents on the shelf at Target--already?! was my only thought--but, rumor has it November’s here. I can't say I've never stooped to buy any of those pre-measured doses of hermetically sealed holiday cheer (not for you, I promise), but generally I give good gift, even at the last minute. All it takes is a little attention, a serendipitous memory or a lucky expedition, a willingness to stretch the budget and maybe some overseas postage.

I'm not sure, however, that I've ever purchased a gift that I've enjoyed as much as this one. And right there my analogy fails, or needs to be taken by the hand and lead in a new direction, because I'm no longer talking about anything I bought or gave, but something I received. If you notice, the line at the top says since November 8, and today it's November 8 again. One year, one lap around the Internets, and this post is my pause before here we go again--because this blog was absolutely a gift, priceless indeed.

Until 365 days ago, I never wrote anything but e-mail. Perhaps too much e-mail, just ask my list, but never anything in public, not ever. No way. (Please insert here the phrase the more things change, the more they stay the same.) I suppose the fact that I may still post a gynecological exchange that occurred while I was wearing a paper towel illustrates the fact that it’s possible to rid oneself of a few too many qualms, but to discover to my own satisfaction that I am a certain kind of writer? Worth far more than the price of admission, and yes, I know, it’s free. The value here is remarkable. Why don’t you ever tell your friends?

That is, I should say, a rhetorical question. While I like to see who visits and welcome all but the jackass anonymous, I’m not exactly recruiting. This place is a repository, an expression, a steady if largely silent gathering (it’s really okay to comment), and, for me, a huge satisfaction. I’m happy for those who enjoy it, hope you can someday say you can read some of these things here first, but regardless I’m here for the duration. Finally! A hobby I won’t abandon, and a present I won’t return. Thanks, Lonnie. It fit perfectly.

1 Comment:

Lonnie said...

Nice label! And you're welcome. It has been my pleasure to be your blog partner and a great joy to read your posts. Your expressive abilities are a gift that truly keeps on giving.