left our open thread: all Hobbes, no Calvin

Sunday, November 30, 2008

all Hobbes, no Calvin


Has enough time passed since the apalling Wal-Mart trampling death for me to publicly appreciate, or at least marvel at, the use of the word "Hobbesian" in the first news accounts of that horror?

As in, "A Wal-Mart employee in suburban New York was trampled to death by a crush of shoppers who tore down the front doors and thronged into the store early Friday morning, turning the annual rite of post-Thanksgiving bargain hunting into a Hobbesian frenzy." It's pretty much the perfect adjective, if a little obscure for the lede. Anyway. Just checking.

I'm not sure how much they'd have to pay me to be at Wal-Mart at 5 a.m. on any morning, let alone Black Friday, but at least I have the luxury not to go. It occurs to me that that thought extrapolates into, "at least I wasn't crushed to death by mindlessly selfish idiots while working at my crappy job," but them's the facts. Nasty, brutish, and short.

0 Comments: