left our open thread: Livin' In The Future

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Livin' In The Future


Come Saturday, this blog marks its second anniversary. Born on the promise of a resounding mid-term victory by the Democrats and the appeal of a venue for personal expression, my first post was titled "Out of the dark ages, into a brave new world."

As enthused as I am about incredibly positive outcome of Tuesday's election -- which I hope Al Franken will be added to -- I'm reminded that none of this has happened yet. All hopes of progression were dashed by recession.

"The Republicans have destroyed this country over the last six years and Democrats should not be criticized if it takes a little time to clean up after them," I wrote then. "If nothing else, taking away Bush's rubber stamp and preventing the nation from deteriorating further is a step in the right direction."

Two years later, it seems we've only marched in place.

Meanwhile, the economy is in the tank, our government is an international and domestic disgrace, we're waging two wars badly and flexing for more, and so on. I'm sure glad gas prices had dipped below $2.20/gallon locally when I learned of Exxon-Mobil's record quarterly profits.

I've spent this day grasping for words to describe my feelings. I still haven't found them, but I did find this from American story teller Bruce Springsteen. God bless America!

0 Comments: