left our open thread: moving on

Saturday, November 08, 2008

moving on


The blue plastic flaps in the stiffening breeze: Obama '08 now a souvenir, not a strong suggestion. It's time, I suppose, to pull the metal frame up out of the yard-- now, while chore's still easy, while there's still opportunity to retrieve it before it sails up the street. Instead I leave it where it's planted.

Although the calendar changed before the election was held, November didn't really arrive until the ballots were counted. Then the temperature dropped. The leaves scattered. Both warmth and color all drained away and left behind a mid-winter preview. It's temporary, of course--the Midwest is the Midwest--but I'd rather not face what's coming, not yet. I choose to loiter a little longer, savor the stunning Fall, look forward to what's left of it. For the first time in forever I harbor no dread, but my habit is to be wary.

I wonder what all those millions who celebrated in the streets--for a president, could you ever imagine?!--expect, and I think to brace for a let-down. But then I remember the flood of relief, the powerful feeling of hope, and I leave the sign up, as a reminder.

0 Comments: