left our open thread: Meldrick spans two stellar cop shows

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Meldrick spans two stellar cop shows


I finally saw the final episode of "The Shield" tonight, thanks to YouTube (sorry for the wiki, but the FX Web site is either bombarded with traffic or already removed the show). My DVR handled the 90 minute finale ok, except for the sound. I knew I couldn't wait until it re-airs on Sunday, and I wasn't disappointed.

"The Shield" is, quite simply, the second greatest cop show on television. By second, I don't mean runner-up. Rather, the second show to earn "greatest cop show" honors. The first? Well that would be "Homicide: Life on the Street."

The common thread? Clark Johnson.

In 1993, Johnson became part of the original cast of Homicide, playing Detective Meldrick Lewis for all seven seasons and the reunion movie, as well as directing several episodes.

Johnson's directing credits include episodes of "The Shield" and he appeared in the finale. He was the guy who delivered Corrine and the kids to their federal witness protection future.

I leave you with this sample, while awaiting the next greatest cop show. I think I'll keep my eye on Clark Johnson.

0 Comments: