left our open thread: So not "that kind of dad"

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

So not "that kind of dad"



If I were "that kind of dad," I'd post something about my son's little league baseball game tonight. On a glorious night for baseball, my vicarious second baseman had a rare double, drove in two runs and scored another in his team's 14-2 victory. He played flawless defense while recording a put-out and two assists.

His double was probably a single and advance on an error if you want to get technical about it, but I'm the official scorekeeper and he was running hard to turn that sharp shot to left center into a two bagger. Who am I to deny him, other than the financier of his training program?

The highlight came in the fifth inning, after we had technically run-ruled the opposition, leading 13-1. Zingy was called on to pitch for the first time in probably four years. If I were "that kind of dad," I might be able to produce a play-by-play that reads something like this:

Diamondbacks Purple 5th - Hayes struck out swinging. Duncan grounded out to 2b. Peller grounded out to 3b. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

If I were "that kind of dad," I'd be able to tell you that we sold six Mountain Dews, four bags of seeds, six ring pops, 11 hot dogs and six dill pickles at our makeshift concession stand.

Good thing I'm not "that kind of dad."

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep selling those concessions. Because you are that kind of dad, and you'll need the money for the liquor it will require to ... oh, let's not go into that right now.