left our open thread: Let the graduating commence

Friday, May 04, 2007

Let the graduating commence


It's commencement weekend; the culmination of the undergraduate education of nearly 300 students at the private liberal arts college where I'm so fortunate to be employed. The speaker lineup includes an interesting juxtaposition of a liberal female Episcopalian bishop and a hawkish male former British diplomat (he's still British, but no longer a diplomat).

Wish I could join them for dinner, but alas I wasn't invited. Just as well as I've been preoccupied with what passes, for me, as community service. This compels me to ponder what I would say, if given the opportunity, to the graduates of 2007.


Congratulations graduates. You have defied incredible odds. The world is your oyster. Too bad it's run by liars, cheats and fools. As you go off to pursue the "American dream," I encourage you to remember two things. Canadians and Mexicans are Americans too, technically. Also, who ever dreamed we'd leave you such a fucked up world? Now go do the best you can.

0 Comments: