left our open thread: And to top it all off

Friday, May 18, 2007

And to top it all off


"Someday," said the special ed teacher I don't really know, having made a special point to stop and share this pearl of wisdom with me as I tried to finally, for the first time this week, get to class on time, "this will be a funny story."

Lady, this is a funny story now. Because if you actually knew me, and had been living this week along with me, you'd know how far down the list of Bad Things That Happen to Good People, 5/14/07 - 5/18/07 edition, being pulled over by friendly officer jackass smack in front of the high school for doing 42 in a 30 actually ranks. For this one, I don't need commisseration: I just need a punch line.

Turns out being the punch line was what it took to finally escape an actual ticket for the first time in my driving life. No tears shed, no eyelashes batted. You live where? And work here? Aren't you embarrassed? A teacher? For how long? And three dollars a gallon? Insane, I know. Go Warriors.

I should have known something was up when he waved us through the 4-way stop all out of order just to get to me, who had at least signaled and come to a full and complete stop and even stayed conscious as I came to the top of speed trap hill. I wasn't even late for work, technically. Today had all the makings of a perfectly normal morning. And this week, that should have been a sign.

1 Comment:

Freddie L Sirmans, Sr. said...

Just browsing, very interesting.