left our open thread: End of the road

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

End of the road


Once upon a time I put a car--a rental car, natch-- in a ditchwhen I was driving south from Green Bay to catch a plane in Chicago. But the road was snow-packed, and a pick-up truck was spinning toward us up the opposite ditch that divided the highway, so. It was momentarily scary, but not tragic--especially since there wasn't a scratch on that Dodge, and I had cash for the tow in my wallet. Didn't even miss the plane. But I kind of missed a pick-up, that same year or the next when I drove down, again from Green Bay to Chicago, to pick up my friend from O'Hare. Except they re-routed the plane to Midway. So I went. Except, while I was driving cross-town, they sent the plane back to O'Hare. So I went. Back to where I just was. Except, at that point, hours later. And you know, O'Hare does not at all resemble a mammoth haystack for one person seeking one other, especially in those days just before cellphone ubiquity. It was awesome. Awesomely frustratingly awful. Suffice it to say I am not at all scarred to this day, and that it's only coincidence that I've never stepped foot there since. These are my Chicago Airport Stories I'd Rather Not Re-Live or Recall.

But at least I am not that erstwhile lucky bastard, who, I can only assume, kept his plans and left Lambeau after the NFC Championship Game to make a 6 a.m. flight from O'Hare. Could have been an improbable, worth-the-pain ending to a remarkable day. A story to tell and retell. Coulda been. Can I imagine what it was like to be him, heading south in that frigid dark? Oh, I could, but I won't. I'm trying to move on.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Still so stinkin' fresh in my mind. I'm surprised at how many times that flight comes up in conversation or I remember being on the pay phone with my dad and the travel agent trying desperately to figure out where you might be and how exactly I could send up the right signal flare. Heh. You'd think big deal would have been the pilot telling us we were just about out of fuel and we pretty much had to land, oh, now. Never think of that first. Always that ticket counter, the pay phone and pretty much standing on tiptoe to look out over the mass of humanity for the right blonde head.

--Dena