left our open thread: Aftermath

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Aftermath


My brother's girlfriend doesn't like sports. I don't get it, but it's true. So, when, last night after The Game, I received a forwarded text from her that read, "Give Allison my condolences," I had to smile and laugh a little. I mean, I could use some condolences; I'm sad. But what must that mean to her? Jennie, are you making fun? Could be she got a little play-by-play of me yelling at the TV or leaping out of my seat, but that is just part of the game--one I can't imagine not playing.

Although, the way I feel reading my box full of commiserating e-mail--some more effective than others: "I bet Brett Farve really feels bad about throwing that interception in OT." Yeah, I bet he is disappointed. Do we really have to talk about it?!?--I'd almost admit that there might be something to limiting oneself to the heartbreak one creates in one's own life. But, nah. I don't believe it. Even in the too-abruptly completed 18 weeks of football, there's been too much I wouldn't have missed. Too much excitement, too much fun. A roadtrip and a home game turned away. The slow and perhaps futile education of my daughter (the child thought the Super Bowl was over!), all those talks with my mom. It was a great run, and the best part? The Packers are young.

Of course, these are dark days now, and not just because that game ended the way that it did. I mean, it's basketball season. And I just don't get basketball. At all. Ever. No way. And hockey? I actually do like hockey, go figure, but it's terrible on TV. And neither are good for an every Sunday habit anyway. A four-and-a-half-month habit is beyond a rut; it's entrenched behavior. NOW what am I going to do? My homework? Ye gods.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hear ya, Allison! We call the time between football and baseball seasons The Dead Zone. We don't get basketball. At all. We try to talk ourselves into learning to like it, but to no avail. And I'm just not a hockey fan. On TV, it's worse than basketball!

Heather

Allison said...

While I agree that it's impossible to capture a hockey game on TV, at least (at least!) it lacks that infernal sound of shoes squeaking against a gym floor!

But, even if it were muted: why not just play the last five minutes and be done?