left our open thread: Day One and Counting

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Day One and Counting


If the first day sets the tone for the year that follows, I suppose I could have done worse.

I slept late and then I slept some more, and wouldn't that be swell.

Financially, it was kind of a wash, and that would be a miracle.

I thought about my looming work but did not do any, and that is totally typical.

When I do get around to gearing up, it will be for second semester, the easy part of the year. Oh, I still don't know what I'll do with that new Chinese girl, the new class I've created, the inevitable crises and stress, but thanks to those dead presidents and the calendar committee, we're constantly off on on a Monday, and a four day work week is no sweat. Then it will be Spring Break, Bruce in M'waukee, please, Baby Jesus, a conference in New York City, then all that testing, and poof, we'll be done. Then it'll be summer, which goes even more quickly. Life in fast forward: too bad it all counts.

I read somewhere that one should do a little work on New Year's Day to have success in the coming year. This, however, is not going to happen; good thing I'm not superstitious. It will take enough effort, perhaps a minor miracle, for me to use some of this first week of January to finish the first semester. It all seems so far away now. Over and done. Why even bother. It can't possibly matter. It was, after all, last year.

0 Comments: