left our open thread: Wisconsin thinks of everything

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wisconsin thinks of everything



“What’s nice here is if you start sliding, you’re not going to hit anything,” says the fire chief of a place called Bayfield, a town in the far reaches of Wisconsin where they plow a road across the frozen bay once the ice reaches a depth of eleven inches.

And you know, he's got a point. Of course, the body shop still has my car and an insurance check in excess of four thousand dollars fourteen days after a '95 Dodge truck stopped my own icy skid, so on that issue I'm easily persuaded. I'm also quite confident that, sitting here this evening between snow days three and four--lack of current precipitation notwithstanding--my school district has canceled classes far more often than the administrators of the schools in that truly frozen tundra. Of course, we have no windsled. I bet I wouldn't have even scratched it.

0 Comments: