left our open thread: School daze

Monday, February 18, 2008

School daze


Classes in the Cedar Rapids school district will be delayed by two hours on Tuesday, the district announced tonight.

Halle-freakin-lujah!

Not that this endless winter is wrecking havoc on our daily routines; we've grown accustomed to that. But that the district would announce its decision the night before.

I've lost count of the times I've stayed up late watching the closures scroll by, waking in the morning only to learn school was canceled or delayed. The closures don't effect me much as my kids are mostly self-sufficient. The delays are another matter altogether.

That'll change come June, when we'll all wish a few of those snow days (6 so far) had been two-hour delays or early dismissal. The district will hold classes Feb. 28 and June 2-6 to make up for the cancellations. One more snow day and my son will celebrate his 15th birthday at school.

The law requires 180 days of school. It already starts in August. And now, thanks to this winter from hell, it extends well into June. Think about it... July is the only full month of summer for our kids.

A little perspective might explain my mood. With Sunday's snowfall -- which ranged from 4.5 inches to 8.3, depending on who you listen to, and followed a solid inch of pure ice -- we've had 55 inches of snow this winter -- #7 on record. If piled end to end, which it seems to be in places, I'd be buried up to my shoulders. Another six inches and I won't be able to breathe, literally.

But, just as it's not so much the heat as it is the humidity in the summer, it's not so much the snow as the wind in the winter. Not exactly a slogan for the Iowa tourism "industry."

Today's high was 7. That's bad enough. Brutal winds made highways impassable and living impossible. It was so cold I skipped my post-work workout for the first time in the month since I got on this diet and exercise kick.

That was 21 pounds ago, I'm proud to say. Come to think of it, I can make up that missed workout in the morning. For once, I'll go to bed knowing what the morning will bring.

And snow is in the forecast. Of course.

0 Comments: