left our open thread: Surprise Package

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Surprise Package


Though online shopping has made visits from the UPS man (sorry, I don't know that I've ever even see a UPS woman) much more mundane than they ever were, I still do love to find a brown box on the porch. Even if it's just another pair of shoes, identical to the ones she wears, that my daughter will reject as "feeling funny," as least there's the pretend-it's-a-gift-and-not-a-line-on-the-Mastercard-statement fun of opening a package. So I can't tell you how grateful I am not to have this simple pleasure ruined forever as I suspect it was for these Michiganders:

Human Head, Liver Dropped at Mich. Home

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) -- A human liver and part of a head were accidentally delivered to a couple's home instead of the northern Michigan lab that was expecting them, delivery service DHL said.

The preserved parts, sent from China and meant for medical research, were mistakenly dropped off March 1 at Franc and Ludivine Larmande's home near Grand Rapids.

The bubble-wrapped items were part of a larger shipment that became separated and were left by a DHL driver who believed they were pieces to a table also delivered to the Larmandes. The body parts, which had been treated by a procedure that hardens and protects them, were intended for Traverse City-based Corcoran Laboratories Inc., DHL said.

The recovered specimens were shipped to the lab, and all the missing parts have been accounted for, the company said Tuesday.

(Posted with apologies to Christina, whom I suspect has already deleted her comment about me writing anything worthwhile.)

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

Ha! This made the nightly news in our neck of the woods. Can I just say, ICK!