left our open thread: Curses! (on Sunday, even)

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Curses! (on Sunday, even)


Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick.

When I was a kid, I rarely heard the 60 Minutes second hand tick by, but when I did, it was a thrill. Did I have some inappropriate interest in Morley Safer or Mike Wallace? Was Andy Rooney's whine music to my ears? Most definitely not. But if we were still at my grandma's house after 6 o'clock, we weren't going back for the second church service of the day, and that was more than fine with me.

Times change, though, and lately that infernal ticking has been the last thing I wanted to hear on a Sunday, as it was only be a sign that the CBS schedule--and my DVR timer--was screwed up again, and it still wasn't time for The Amazing Race theme music to kick in. That's one annoyance I don't need, Sunday evening being just another name for Monday morning to me.


By Sunday evening, I need to be working, making plans and creating materials, or at least deciding how I'll finesse my semi-preparedness. I've been happy to shove responsibility aside, though, at least for an hour, to make sure that I get to watch Rob and Amber race. Judge me if you will, but having my favorite contestants on my favorite show is definitely Must See TV for me.

If you don't know who Rob and Amber are, you clearly need to watch more television, as they have been doing a fine job of stretching out their 15 minutes. If you know who Rob is and wish you didn't, then I don't think we can ever be friends.

I'd describe the appeal of the inexplicably infamous Boston Rob in more detail, but it's all a moot point now. He and Amber were Philiminated tonight, leaving this edition of The Amazing Race without any actual All Stars and my Sunday evening schedule with a gaping hole. If Rob and Amber are off somewhere memorizing the spelling of Philippines instead of flummoxing other racers and entertaining me, I've no choice but to find another method of procrastination. Like, say, writing a post.

2 Comments:

Lonnie said...

I'm totally in your camp here, Allison. My first thought after the show was, who do I root for now? There is no one! I guess this proves that it's not fixed, otherwise there's no way Rob and Amber (who you seem to give too little credit) would have been eliminated.

Allison said...

Oh, I give Amber credit for running a race--and if Rob had listened to her, maybe they wouldn't have lost to a midget. But while she does have more personality than when she won her million, I probably wouldn't tune in to the Amber Show.