left our open thread: Not only boys and their toys

Monday, March 05, 2007

Not only boys and their toys


"Mom," calls my daughter, climbing up the stairs with a purpose. "Something's wrong with the computer. It keeps locking or up going black or I don't know."

"So, uh, can I use the laptop?"

Busted.

Nothing's wrong with that 2 year old Dell with the pretty pretty LCD monitor except that it's not the newest toy in the house, this even prettier notebook brought home only weeks ago. That much I know without even asking a question, but thirty seconds of discussion confirms my supposition and inadvertently triggers the tears. I suppose there are advantages to having a child who punishes herself more harshly than I'm inclined, but sometimes I'd prefer not to have to comfort the offender. I'm glad she recognizes she's made a mistake, but it doesn't seem worth crying herself to sleep over.


On the other hand, what mother would want to dissuade her daughter from crying when she's been caught in a lie, no matter how matter how insignificant or understandable--it's not as if I don't hear the siren song of wireless internet myself. But as I point out why it's a bad choice to tell the in-house tech support person (me!) a computer is broken when it isn't, I'm not entirely sure if she's hearing the value of honesty or tips for constructing a better tale. A little of both, I imagine, but I suppose time (and middle school) will tell . In the meantime, I take comfort in her soft heart and try to laugh with her father as I tell him the story. Of all the things for her to covet; she surely is our child.

Dear girl. I know why you want to use this computer; it's why I'm using it myself. So next time, just tell me straight. Otherwise, the ultimate punishment awaits: dial-up!

0 Comments: