left our open thread: My yin to her yang

Thursday, November 30, 2006

My yin to her yang



It was probably predictable, but a pattern has developed in the few short weeks since this blog was launched. Perhaps you've noticed.

Allison is the , I'm the . I'm the , she's the . Her posts are almost always insightful, thoughtful and well-written. (See "No day like a snow day," "A dilemma," "What the future holds," "Already Merry" and "A Thanksgiving Miracle," just to name a few.) My posts are almost always snarky, curmudgeonly, sinister and/or offensive. (See "Borat -- must see entertainment," "Holiday humbug" and "Mediacom vs. Sinclair -- which evil is the lesser?")

There's nothing wrong with this, mind you. It's just the way it is. And, perhaps, an accurate representation of who we really are. Hopefully, that combination will find an audience. If not, no big deal. We're having fun, which is all that really matters.

But if, by chance, something on this blog inspires someone -- anyone! -- to think, to laugh (see or "Happy Thanksgiving America"), to get angry, to be entertained, to act or, most of all, to POST A COMMENT!, Allison will be thrilled. I, of course, couldn't give a damn.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

What comes to my mind with Lonnie's description is a perky blonde cheerleader waving pom poms, cheering her readers on to write a post complimented by the old men Muppets who sat in the balcony making fun of everyone and everything. Not sinister [sorry, Lonnie] but definitely snarky.

Of these two images, however, the one that makes me laugh is the cheerleader. Let me state, for the record, that Allison is not a cheerleader. Period. She is most definitely, as Lonnie said, insightful, thoughtful, and well-written. I'm always amazed at her ability to assess and zero in on the heart of the matter. I usually feel two steps behind but am infinitely grateful to have been her friend all these years. [Since I'm the accountant who has issues with numbers I won't say how many.] So, when you read Allison's entries and contemplate posting a comment, do not imagine her clapping her hands and jumping up and down excitely. Picture instead that truly intelligent person you always want to impress; the one who has that wicked-sharp sense of humor that you can laugh with about nothing until you cry. That's my closest, dearest friend Allison.

PS. Of the two of us, I'm more likely to clap and jump since I'm definitely more silly. I do know that she would laugh right along with me and maybe clap.

Lonnie said...

Welcome to the peanut gallery, Dena. It's good to know someone is reading.