left our open thread: Money for nothing

Monday, November 20, 2006

Money for nothing



Tempting as it is, I shouldn't give Lonnie a hard time for this youtube proliferation. If I wasn't entertained by every video, I was at least educated. I learned, for example, that Tom Vilsack is as boring as you'd expect the Governor of Iowa to be. (As a person who loved living in Iowa City, I get to say that.) I'd be tempted to say Lonnie was just like a kid in a candy store, except I hereby declare that simile defunct. Not only do candy stores barely exist any more, save for mall stores that no kid could afford, but, given the opportunity, today's kid wouldn't gleefully pick one of everything. Instead, he'd get there early, buy all the good stuff, sell it on eBay, count his profit, and never even eat any candy.

I am really tired of that kid.

You know, the one who gets into a knife fight at Best Buy as he waits to buy the PS3 he hopes to eBay for six times its already inflated price. Or the one who goes online for free World Series parade tickets only to post them for sale with a "my $200 price is firm" disclaimer moments later. For the people who line up to be gouged, I think the saying about a fool and his money applies. For the people who do the gouging, there are plenty of other sayings. I suggest a quick Google of doing unto others or the root of all evil.

Must the bottom line always be the bottom line? In the world of Halliburton and Abramoff, perhaps. I’d rather not live in that world, especially since it would seem to require time in either prison or hell (never mind the F2F with Dick Cheney). I'm all for making money, but when every experience is nothing but an opportunity for profit, we're all poorer for it.

0 Comments: