left our open thread: 1 of 176

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

1 of 176


This time of year, certain grown ups have just one question for the school age kids they see: "Are you looking forward to going back to school?" Being her mother's daughter, my favorite ten-year old's reply isn't a simple yes or no. Instead, she's taken to overexplaining, "I'm looking forward to the first day, but none of the days after that." I'm not sure if she's just withholding judgment, or if she'd really rather fifth grade were just a one-shot deal. Still, I can kinda relate.

I love the first day of school.

I'm sleep deprived already--5 a.m. is too damn early--I'm not yet entirely prepared for tomorrow, and I left my desk a disaster. But today? Oh, today was great. Sure it's taking the new counselor a little longer than I'd like to learn why we do things my way (the right way), and if the bus hadn't been 20 minutes late, that would have probably been nice, but we've got weeks to work that out--months in fact.

The first day is for reconnecting and welcoming and rescuing the confused. It's little gestures that will pay off way down the line, when a kid remembers how I helped that time in the hall. But mostly it's the energy of that initial class meeting that makes the first day for me. It still amuses me, when I think of it, that I could be the same person who once suffered through a year of college French (taught by a fiercely intimidating Russian, natch) rather than complete ten weeks of public speaking, I love being in front of a class so much, but it's true. It's just my element, I guess, or one of them.

I've always been curious what my friends and family would make of Teacher Allison. I mean, she's pretty much me, though perhaps with slightly more patience and a slightly kinder wit. Maybe bigger gestures. She definitely does still laugh a lot, and will do anything for anybody on her side (just ask that counselor). So, not really that different, and neither is the first day. But still, there's a little something that makes those first meetings distinct (though less off-putting than referring to oneself in the third person. I swear never to do it again.). On this first day of class, there's no tedium or tension, and more than the usual measure of possibility. Most of the time, it's just fun, or at least enjoyable enough to make us all willing to come back-- at least for one more day. I love it, and I can't wait to do it again. Maybe even tomorrow.


0 Comments: