left our open thread: That woman

Monday, May 05, 2008

That woman


Is that supposed to be sexist, to say that? Because it's not. Because if Hillary were Him-ary, my rants and refrains would be the same, except for the nouns and the pronouns. And yes, I realize that was Bill's epithet, back when he was fighting his own battles. So much the better.

Because I swear to God.

I swear to God before this is over I am going to have a freaking stroke. I feel my blood pressure rising just as sure as Dick Cheney were talking. Then again, she might as well be Bush!

"'I'm not going to put my lot in with economists, because I know if we get it right, if we actually did it right, if we had a president who used all the tools of the presidency, we would design it in such a way that it would be implemented effectively,' " Clinton said.

I suppose I'm to make a distinction here between the one who can't understand and the one who claims to be smarter, but the disdain for the book-learnin' set an an appeal to those trained to expect no more from their government than twenty-dollars in gas taxes stolen from the future is more than I can stand or excuse. Especially from the woman who knows better but apparently does not care.

" 'Using a red firetruck as a backdrop, Clinton defended her proposal for a summer gas-tax holiday before several hundred supporters at a fire station in Merrillville. She again criticized Obama for focusing on long-term energy solutions at the expense of urgent, if modest, relief for working families.

"It's a false choice, as my opponents and others are trying to say: 'Oh, we can't do anything in the short run to help people; we can only worry about what we do in the long run,'" Clinton said. "People live in the short run. People get up every day and have to fill up their tanks. They have to go to the grocery store."

A few minutes later, Clinton hit Obama again on the issue, saying he did not understand what people are going through. "He's always going on TV, and he's always saying, 'Oh, you know, this is like $20," she said. "For a lot of people, $20 is something, right?' "

Disparaging leadership and the long run? Glorifying the cheap and stupid? Does this not sound all too familiar? And then there's the good-old-girl bit. "He's always going on TV. . ." Because you're what, Hillary, shooting the shit and having a beer in the back of a pickup truck? I wonder if next she'll start aping that laugh. Heh heh heh. Talk about false choices.

I swear. Somebody pass ME a Boilermaker.

0 Comments: