left our open thread: Movin' up, and leaving Dad behind

Monday, May 19, 2008

Movin' up, and leaving Dad behind



It was bound to happen, but I wasn't ready. Tonight I learned that my freshman son is playing baseball for the sophomore team in its season opener tomorrow night in Bettendorf. I can count on one hand the number of his games that I've missed over the years.

At minimum, I maintain the score book. Increasingly, I've served as team photographer too. Since he's long since outgrown my ability to coach him, I've also proudly served as tournament director and concessions organizer too.

And now, just like that, he's going on the road for a double header I can't possibly attend.

I'm proud, of course, that he's even being considered for the sophomore team. He certainly deserves it for the hard work he's put in year after year. I'm not concerned about him playing up a year -- he's been doing that since he started playing t-ball.

I just hope it's what's best for him. Since I can't be there, I'll just have to trust the coaches' judgment and hope they make the right decision. For his sake, I just want him to keep his eyes open.

0 Comments: