left our open thread: 56 games hath June

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

56 games hath June


It's practically a doubleheader a day, except the 1st, 3rd, 7-8, 12th, 19th, 22nd, 24th and 26th are actually baseball/softball free -- not counting practice. This is revision #184 of the composite schedules of my daughter's softball team and my son's baseball teams.

The latest revision is the result of my high school freshman son's apparent promotion to the sophomore squad. He more-than filled in tonight -- playing second and short while holding his own at the plate throughout the double-header sweep in Dubuque. I missed most of the first game and left my camera and scorecard behind, but saw all of the nightcap and was within earshot of the postgame chat when Coach told Zach and Jordy "you're with us."

What an ego boost! I wonder how Zach felt. My only regret is he probably won't pitch much, but he's still got USSSA baseball for that. He also plays on the high school feeder program's 14U team by virtue of not turning 15 until June.

So for the next month or so, he'll alternate between overage little leaguer and underage high school baseball player. This is indeed a rare point in time that I know he's going to seize.

I can't say that I've seen him go to lift weights at 6:30 EVERY weekday morning because I'm always asleep, but I know he did it. And I've watched him evolve from a chubby, plodding kid who loved the game into a chiseled, hustling competitor who hates losing.

I'd like to think I've helped -- financially, if nothing else -- but the work was all his. I couldn't be prouder, son. Go for it!

0 Comments: