left our open thread: my present

Sunday, May 11, 2008

my present



"Hailey, did you get your mom something for Mother's Day?" It's Saturday, and I'm just making conversation.

"Yes."

"What did you get?"

"A bracelet."

"Oh, that's nice," I say, picturing her father and a trip to the jewelry store.

"Madison," now I'm playing. "Did you get your mother anything?" They giggle at me.

"Yes." Was there eye rolling? Oh, probably. Mother's daughter.

This morning I revised my mental picture, included in my mental thanks a fifth grade teacher who must have, in her slightly younger years, grown tired of crappy projects hauled home from school.

"Mrs. Durkee says she spends a forture in beads," said my always forthright daughter.

"I bet. Did you pick out these or make the pattern?"

"Well, really I just went along with it. Mrs. Durkee likes symmetry." I have taught her to be honest. There's no evidence here that I've taught her how to stamp an envelope, but that just makes it sweeter. A souvenir from the very tail end of childhood. And don't I look great in that picture?

0 Comments: