left our open thread: trouble

Sunday, April 19, 2009

trouble


This is the problem with a secondhand story: the facts don't tell anything. So when I hear that you "blew up" over at the alternative school, I don't know how to take it. I wouldn't put a carefully orchestrated explosion past ya; I know you didn't want to come back. But surely you didn't really mean to be expelled. Did ya? I'm curious, but that's about it.

Perhaps that in itself is unfair. You have stuck gamely by your "I didn't do anything" story; it's entirely possible it's true. Except for circumstances and that positive test that came back to bite ya. If it hadn't, you'd still be in school. You wouldn't have gotten 45 days to hang out with those who are, perhaps, more experienced. More intransigent, for sure. But you did and you were and now you're out until August. A semester lost, perhaps more.

Meanwhile, those who have more serious--more actual--problems will work through the system, cycle back. Their schoolhouse door is likely revolving; all through high school, at least, as long as it lasts, they won't be much affected by paperwork and rules and procedures. It's a lifestyle, it's chosen, it's kids who don't change. I wonder if you will, if already you have.

0 Comments: