left our open thread: inbox

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

inbox


HI.HOW ARE YOU.

That's the subject line of her first missive in months. And being full of keen insight or an aversion to the poorly punctuated and insistently capital, I feel the trepidation gathering even before I click to reveal a message that resembles the work of some especially maladroit spammer:

"I need you help.
em.....
I want to go back now.
BUT,have some trouble.
I hope talk with you.
Can i have you phone number."

"Oh honey," I say. "Haven't we been through this before?" (And didn't I teach you better than that? I can't help but think, though she's been gone longer than she was here.) But regardless of her intentions, or her troubles, or how she thinks I could possibly help her get back from China sans parental consent-- if I had the tiniest fraction of my presumed powers, I swear I'd deserve my own comic: The Misadventures of Ms. P--regardless, I know exactly how my end of this conversation would go:

"No."

"I'm sorry."

"No."

Bookended, of course, with "HI.HOW ARE YOU," and an internal, "What the heck? What is she saying? Is she serious? I don't understand." in two languages at once.

I would rather not.

But my work number is on the school website that I know she's previously perused, and I don't want to alienate, really, and who knows what her story is. So I tap out the the digits, calculate a thirteen-hour time difference and hope for silence while half-expecting an immediate ring.

Not yet.

0 Comments: