left our open thread: Q & A

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Q & A


"Ms. P, I have three questions," she announces as she walks through the door, and she ticks off her list right then. The date of a meeting, a detail of an assignment-- asked and answered, done and done. And then:

"When somebody donates their organs, is their funeral paid for?"

I cock my head and pause. She anticipates the question. "Somebody told my mom that, and she told me to ask you." As Designated Authority on Organ-Donation Policy, I cannot help but smile. That and ponder why and how this query arose: is a frugal parent planning ahead?

I satisfy her with my what and why, then Google up the same answer from a more legitimate source. My student is happy because I proved her right; I'm pleased for a different reason. I've never been sure where I stand with her mother, and somehow I take this as a sign.

0 Comments: