left our open thread: in business

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

in business


At first glance, they look professional-- two-color business cards for a landscape company. But as I gather up the dozens he's left behind I feel irregular edges and notice the sway of the stack. He could have had better for less, I can't help but think, but I can't deny the self-made effort.

"So you'll do anything, eh?" I had teased when I noticed construction and carpet instalation (yes, with one l) added to the cards with a familiar hand.

His gesture says, "What else can I do?" His words are, "I am a Mexican." He's too proud to be resigned but aware of his place in the system he's trying to beat. Today he feels he has an edge. The number he'd worked and paid taxes on was finally defunct, so now he's resorted to cash. And some sounds-iffy-to-me-arrangment about the equipment he's buying, something about $4000 and working for the owner when he needs a job.

I ask him a few more questions, raise an eyebrow at his prices, feel both proud and wary at once. He's a 19 year-old making his way, one way or the other. It seems near impossible, but I could be wrong.

0 Comments: