left our open thread: un-snow day

Monday, December 10, 2007

un-snow day


This was a test of the new-fangled emergency snow day system. I mean it had to be, right? Despite the fact that there was nothing in the air but some mist and some fog, that the roads were clear and the radar was patchy, that the temperature was hovering right about 32, our phone rang at 4:48 this morning with some fairly surprising news. School was out for my daughter, canceled for the day. Officially, according to the automated voice, the superintendent had determined that conditions warranted.

But today, oh today I wonder, given the new bat-signal system our district has just installed. Unofficially, wouldn't it just figure if the chief were sitting in his comfortable home, playing should-I-or-shouldn't-I, will-I or won't-I with his brand new toy when whoops! there goes the call to the homes of seven thousand students. No turning back, no matter what was not falling from the sky. Unlikely I suppose, but even if it was not accidental, it certainly was an eager call, first in the vicinity. . .for no apparent reason. Oh, I know sometimes it's tricky, and some of our routes are rural, and nobody wants a bus trip to be even more adventuresome than usual. But heavens to Fahrenheit, Mr. Superintendent, I had to drive thirty-some miles to the district that employs me to find me some ice! on the sidewalk! leading to my open-for-business school!

Now would my attitude be different if that early early early morning phone (though not wake-up) call had been for me? Not really; it'd still be ridiculous. Sublimely ridiculous. Emphasis on sublime. But, come May, when they're making up this day? Advantage me.

0 Comments: