left our open thread: these kids today

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

these kids today


Although it's true that I'd likely turn in my certificate were I ever required to again teach Americans or even my preferred immigrant groups in numbers of more than ten or twenty at a time, I have to say that being employed in a field that requires me to spend time with teenagers is no burden at all. In fact, I actually like 'em. In small numbers, mind you, and most definitely excluding those entitled and profane citizens, but the rest of them, they do make me laugh and warm my heart, challenge my mind and raise my blood pressure every single day, sometimes all at once, but at least I am never bored.

Surprised, sometimes, but rarely caught off guard. They want to talk about where babies come from? All right. I've even got books with pictures. It's hard to phase Ms. P. But on a day like today, when they're so distracted for a most unlikely reason, well, I don't know what to make of them. Cannot fathom nor comprehend these alien beings in my room. The gap between us is so huge, and I just cannot relate or even pretend. I'm just flummoxed, and all I can do is laugh.

"You all are this excited about THE CHIPMUNKS MOVIE? You cannot be serious!" And I'm met with squeals and peals of irony-free laughter, and tonight, an e-mail from a kid who was not even present, expressing that he, too, is "so looking forward" to Alvin and his CGI friends. They are all totally serious, except, you know, insane. And I am supposed to teach them? I'm suddenly wracked with doubt.

Although, I don't know. The mark against these kids today is that they're growing up too fast, but being this eager to see a kids' movie that features a poop joke in the trailer? It's certainly no sign of that.

2 Comments:

Hippo said...

Just yesterday I was marveling at how much I am enjoying my 13-year-old daughter and her oh-so-teenage friends. I have always been perplexed, annoyed and somewhat afraid of teenagers, and have been dreading these years of having "those creatures" in my own house. Yet, I am constantly amused and amazed by these mixed-up adult/children (and yes, still annoyed and confused too). I'm enjoying this phase of parenting so much more than I expected!

Your blog, and the wonderful ways that you express your feelings for your students, has been a big influence on me. I'm so much more open to the vagaries of adolescence thanks to you!

Still chuckling at big ol' adult-like children being excited over the Chipmunks,

Tina

Allison said...

Thanks, Tina. I'm touched.