left our open thread: Biden on Bhutto

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Biden on Bhutto


Less than a week, mercifully, from the Iowa caucuses and we awake to a very disturbing turn of events in Pakistan. I've got to hand it to Joe Biden for his response, as reported by Marc Cooper on The Huffington Post:

"You know a lot of people make jokes about me running really running for Secretary of State," he told the crowd who peppered him with questions on foreign policy issues ranging from Russia to the Middle East to Afghanistan. "I'm not. I'm running for President. But I would ask you: 'How many of you are willing to vote for a candidate not able to be Secretary of State?'"

I would have advised him to insert "again," but I'm mean that way.

"I know many of the world leaders for the last 30 years. Not because I'm and important guy. But because I came up with them," he said referring to his long-time leadership position on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. "It's not hyperbole to suggest the rest of the world is waiting for an American president to be elected who can connect the dots. And I can."

Heck, it'd be progress to elect a president who can pronounce and define hyperbole!

For the record: this is not an endorsement as I remain ever firmly in the Edwards camp. However, unlike too many of my fellow Iowans, I have no illusions that the caucuses are anything more than the start of a long, dirty process. Have we already forgotten Howard Dean for baby Jesus' sake?!

2 Comments:

Allison said...

"Heck, it'd be progress to elect a president who can pronounce and define hyperbole!"

HA. Except, too true.

Anonymous said...

Enough with the Baby Jesus remarks, for Christ's sake.