left our open thread: Critical thinking in Ohio

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Critical thinking in Ohio


Although I'm hoping to make it through the rest of the winter without another one, I stand by my claim that there is no day like a snow day. And so, despite the fact that they must not be the sharpest crayons in the box, I almost have to give these soon-to-be-expelled girls credit for trying to make their own:


Students Charged in Online Snow-Day Hoax
Feb 10, 6:04 PM (ET)

TRENTON, Ohio (AP) - Two teenage girls posted a fake announcement on their school district's Web site that said school was closed for the day due to winter weather, police said.

The notice, posted Monday, confused many parents - snow was not in the forecast - and persuaded some students to stay home.
My favorite line may just be an administrator trying to be good copy for the local paper, but I prefer to interpret it as yet another illustration of the brilliant minds guiding our nation's schools:

Edgewood City Schools Superintendent Tom York said he discovered the posting when he logged on to write his own announcement that school would be delayed for an hour because of an extreme cold snap.

"I didn't make that call, and I'm the guy who does, so I knew something was up," York said.

If he's capable of that kind of incisive analysis, maybe the Cedar Rapids district should call him in to consult.

1 Comment:

Lonnie said...

Ha!