left our open thread: The Waiting

Friday, October 19, 2007

The Waiting


It really is the hardest part. And package tracking services only make it worse.

Case in point with “Runnin’ Down a Dream,” the new Tom Petty biography film by Peter Bogdanovich, which was released Tuesday exclusively through Best Buy. I assumed the special offer for online purchases, which included free shipping, was the quickest route to getting my hands on the CD/DVD boxed set.

Boy was I wrong.

I bet I’ve driven past Best Buy a half dozen times since Tuesday and could easily have stopped and made the purchase without throwing off anyone’s schedule. Instead, UPS package tracker tells me, my purchase has taken a circuitous route to my house.

Oct. 15 – Mail retrieved from shipper.
Oct. 16 – Received at UPS Mail Innovations Regional Processing Facility in Carol Stream, Ill.
Oct. 17 – Transferred to UPS Mail Innovations Regional Processing Facility in Kansas City, Mo.
Oct. 18 – Received at UPS Mail Innovations Regional Processing Facility in Kansas City, Mo.
Oct. 19 – Processed at USPS Facility in Des Moines, Iowa.
Oct. 20 – Who knows?

I’ve half a mind to drive to Des Moines and pick up the damn package myself, except it’ll probably be sent to Minneapolis while I’m en route. Besides, I have plans.

After missing Coe College’s last two road games, which were sandwiched around a bye week and a Homecoming loss in overtime, I have a serious jones for some kick ass Kohawk football. I’m sure to get my fix in Waverly, where Coe faces Wartburg College in its Homecoming game.

That these two schools do not like each other was punctuated this summer when Coe’s touchdown machine bolted to the rival Knights. We circled this date way back then and have been waiting ever since.

Here’s to the end of the waiting.

3 Comments:

Allison said...

From CHI to CR by way of KC? Certainly an innovation. But since when is free shipping quick?

Anonymous said...

Who won the game?

Lonnie said...

Wartburg, aka the Evil Empire, proving once again that life isn't fair and there is no justice.