left our open thread: #4 is 2nd to 0

Thursday, September 20, 2007

#4 is 2nd to 0



As Brett Favre aw-shucks his way around his ascension to the winningest quarterback in NFL history and nears NFL records for touchdowns and interceptions, John Clayton put things in perspective for me.

The brains among ESPN’s considerable bluster pointed out that Favre has a 13-year generation gap with seven of his offensive starters. I knew the Packers were young, but think about it.

Favre was 27 a decade ago when he led Green Bay to Super Bowl glory over the New England Patriots. Seven of his current offensive mates would have been 14, the same age as my son. Imagine a younger Brett Favre trying to win anything with even the best players from that high school freshman team that got throttled Monday by a cross-town rival 61-0.

It’s a twisted perspective, I know, and while Zach caught a pass Monday, it wasn’t a Brett Favre bullet. Still, there’s no pro athlete I’ve ever – or will ever – admire more. Not Magic Johnson. Not Orel Hershiser. Not even Edgar Bennett.

Over the course of Favre’s 17-year career, I can count on one hand the games I haven’t seen (including his very first appearance in place of the injured “Majik Man”) on television, if not in person (including the nightmarish T.J. Rubley appearance in Minnesota). As his career winds down, I’ll applaud each start that extends the streak, cringe at each interception, cherish every touchdown pass, and savor each win.

And seven years from whenever he decides to call it quits, I intend to be in Canton for his Hall of Fame induction. I hope Zach is with me.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Bret Favre is my savior. When I die he will be at the gates of heaven welcming me home. He is number 4 and is the best