left our open thread: high school crush

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

high school crush




"Ms. P! Look!" and she gestures me over to the antique computer and nods at the screen with covetous eyes. It's displaying an iphone case imprinted with Obama's face: cool multiplied by cool, circa January 2009.

Across the aisle, her friend calls to me, "Have you seen the shoes?" and points to presidential sneakers on the folded-back page of some teenage magazine. She has shown me before, recited the price: $60 announced with a half-awed, half-calculating voice.

They are not kidding. Instead, they are smitten. And really, who could blame them? I feel a little infatuated myself with the entire First Family and its smooth elegance, confident ease, and intelligent grace. What's not to admire? I'm sure we'll know soon enough. But in the meantime? It's beautiful. Just beautiful to me.

1 Comment:

Hippo said...

Awwwwwww.... [sigh]

They're just so gorgeous. I never thought I'd feel this way about a PRESIDENT!!!

I'm excited about his politics, too, but it's also fun to watch them as People. Somehow, the Bushes just never did it for me.

Thanks for posting the video.