left our open thread: the next day

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

the next day


"You hurt my feelings, Ms. P.," he says, eyebrow raised. Truth as bargaining chip. I exhale.

"I apologized." Case closed. This is not about that.

"You said I was worthless." No eye contact.

"I did not." I didn't.

"Yes, you did." He's not serious, but he means it. "Worthless," he repeats, starting to enjoy the sound of the word.

"I did not." I would never. But I know that's what he heard. I both take it to heart and recognize his strategy.

I feel the twitch of a smile. "I did apologize," I tease. I couldn't if I didn't care; neither could he. His expression tells me that he knows.

"So, can we bring Rock Band?" he asks, again. They're dying to try the 42" TV that now hangs too high on the wall.

"Of course not."

He shrugs, undaunted, my answer entirely expected, and we both go on.

0 Comments: