left our open thread: Who he?

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Who he?




Every time I get to thinking that perhaps the baby brother and I aren't so opposite after all, aren't, perhaps, best represented by a Venn diagram with vast empty spaces in the intersecting middle, I am once again corrected:

Yesterday the early word came that Monday's super-duper extra-ginormous concert announcement is indeed Springsteen on a Saturday night in August, glory hallelujah. The 23rd, to be exact.

Since he at least pretended to consider going with us to the St. Patrick's Day show in M'waukee, I speedily forwarded the news to my only sibling. To which he responded, "my concert calendar for August is Neil Diamond, August 29th."

I'm sorry, what? That's six days apart; what's the conflict? And, more urgently, given his apparent preference, is my baby brother actually an old woman?

2 Comments:

Hippo said...

I just don't get the Neil Diamond craze. Sure, I sing along to his old hits when the come on the radio, but to choose him over Springsteen?!?!

I have a friend who's dying to see Neil Diamond too, and he seems like exactly the wrong demographic: good-looking 30-something Latino engineer, married to an artist, has taught his kids about "real" music like the Beatles and classic rock. His other favorite artist? Johnny Cash.

Go figure.

Allison said...

There's a craze? Shouldn't there be a "y" in that word?

Apparently this will be the third time my "brother" has seen Neil Diamond live. Meanwhile, Clarence Clemons ain't getting any younger. Not that any of us will ever be that cool.