left our open thread: You never know

Thursday, January 18, 2007

You never know


You never know about some people. In truth, you probably never REALLY know about ALL people. But sometimes I’m so far off the mark it defies explanation.

Case in point, I now know a murderer. No, not O.J. Simpson or other celebrity killers. Someone whose number was in my cell phone until I dropped it in the toilet. Someone whose e-mail address is still in my address book. Someone whose company I enjoyed over beers. Someone I valued as a coach of my son’s little league baseball team even more than the head coach.

It was last July at the state tournament where I got to know Troy. I’d seen him around occasionally at practice and such, and knew he was a good player in his day. I applauded as he rode in on his white horse near the end of the season to help coach.

He was charming, and handsome, and funny and made a real effort to garner my support, telling me what a good kid I had and such. I know I’m blessed with two great kids, but sometimes the affirmation is good.

There’s nothing like an out-of-town baseball tournament – I suppose it’s also true in other sports (except friggin’ soccer) – to bring a team together. Spending two or three days together at the ballpark and at the hotel intensifies team spirit. Parents get caught up in this too, probably more than the kids.

The sports bar adjacent to the hotel was an ideal venue for parents to let their hair down. Troy and his girlfriend cajoled us into the early morning, despite the fact that we had an 8 a.m. game. I’m pretty sure he and I did shots of Stoly.

I thought nothing of it when he heckled the opposing pitcher (a 13-year-old, mind you) into submission that afternoon. In fact, I laughed out loud at the spectacle.

I hoped, during the off season, that he would return on a more regular basis to coach the team this year, though I knew he wasn’t responsible enough to be the head coach. I worried what kind of relationship he had with his three teenage sons since divorcing their mother nearly three years ago.

That all went out the window – or came into focus – last night as I was perusing the online edition of my local newspaper.

The headline screamed “Woman slain; son charged.”

Turns out my “friend” Troy murdered his mom, a respected labor leader and community volunteer. Today we learned Linda was strangled to death in the townhouse she shared with her only child, back in October! Her body was found Tuesday, in the trunk of her car at a local storage garage.

Troy told police he lost his $90,000-a-year job in 2003. Court records show he fell behind on child support payments in 2005 and was twice convicted of drunken driving in 2006. Now he’s an accused murderer being held on $1 million bail.

Not exactly the kind of guy I want anywhere near my son. With some people, and perhaps all people, you never know.

0 Comments: