left our open thread: Favre's swan song?

Monday, January 01, 2007

Favre's swan song?


Elation from the ' New Year's Eve win over the quickly turned to sadness as gave this post game interview to : click here. A year ago, I was more prepared for his retirement. Now, after an 8-8 season that could easily have been 9-7 (as I optimistically predicted), I see hope for the future.

Favre remains the Packers' best option and a significant NFL draw, as shown by the decision to move the game to prime time. I remain hopeful he'll cancel half of his $11 million salary for 2007 in exchange for a pledge by GM to get some playmakers while the youngsters continue to develop and additional talent is brought in through the draft.

But I'm struck by the raw honesty of Favre's response immediately after the game. The tears were telling enough. What strikes me as the best evidence of his mindset was how he was able to turn on a dime when asked for his thoughts if this were, in fact, his last game. Brett's a clever SOB, but that transition was too quick, too natural, for someone who hadn't, in fact, played his last game.

2 Comments:

Allison said...

This time I'll hope you're less perceptive than usual.

Anonymous said...

Would you cancel half of your salary so your Burger King could hire a couple of skilled burger-flippers?

Get real