left our open thread: How everything turned out

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

How everything turned out


Outage start date/time: Thursday Nov 30, 2006 11:05 PM
Outage status: Order is being investigated
Cause of outage: Cause not yet determined
Estimated restoration time: Not Available

In other words, heck if we know. Hope that works out for you.

It doesn't take much, does it, to become vaguely disconnected from one's real and actual life. To kiss normal good bye and wander through days that would seem entirely typical if only they were happening to someone else. It's not Groundhog Day, but rather one of those disorienting dreams which take real concentration to shake off. Open an eye. Try to focus. I'm where? Doing what? Awakening day after day in the room I permanently vacated more than fifteen years ago doesn't help-- this isn't the way everything turned out. Is it?

I assume we're all (both) old enough to remember the sound of a needle ripping across vinyl in a sudden change of heart or a fit of spite. Well, insert that sound here, because as I stole some time on my mom's computer to write that, my power came on!

Ameren.com still claims my electricity is off (does that mean those kilowatts are free?), and my internet connection is still MIA, but 92 hours later, the lights are on and the furnace is running, and it's my turn to pity the folks at the other end of the street who still sit in the dark.

Now, where were we? Talking to ourselves?

0 Comments: