left our open thread: Be grateful for what you have

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Be grateful for what you have


And I will be, or I am, regarding things that actually matter. But am I feeling it right now? Not so much.

As I explained to Lonnie, I'm pretty sure that my last remaining constitutional right is to instant gratification. So am I content to enjoy my electric light and electric heat and satellite TV as I wait for Charter to reconnect my internet service? Heck , no! What kind of American would I be then?

Instead I've hooked up a really long phone cord to the old computer--the one with a modem--and resurrected a moribund Juno account to see if I'll be able to get online at all for the duration.

If you are reading this, then the answer was, technically, yes.

But the question of the hour is this: if this modem, and this computer, and this everything is more than twice as fast as what we had back then, how the hell did I develop an internet habit in 1996?!?

0 Comments: