left our open thread: news (despite supposed hiatus)

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

news (despite supposed hiatus)


"I'll try to be a good father," he writes, slipped in to the end of an unrelated message. Facebook may be killing my blog, but at least it does keep me in touch.

I reply immediately, cautiously  are-you-telling-me-what-I-think-you're-telling-me excitement soon replaced by pleased, nearly aunt-like surprise and for a little while I reflect on this new milestone, this first of the next generation-- until I realize that's ludicrous on the face. For Pete's sake, there's a baby shower invitation on my desk, the honored guest one of my two current students who are currently expecting, and then of course that now two year-old who I held as a newborn as her mom did her homework. 


So this isn't the first time one of my students has become a parent, but it is different: this time, no teenagers are involved.  Sure, the mom-and-dad-to-be are young --he's barely 25--but they're adults and they're established, savers who own cars and a home; they've even been married more than a year.  I imagine las abuelas have been tapping their feet. In two countries I'm sure there's rejoicing. 


And while I cross my fingers and hope his new blessing doesn't replace his other dreams-- I believe in him, but I'm realistic--it feels good to congratulate without stifling a sigh.

0 Comments: