left our open thread: tax time

Sunday, January 31, 2010

tax time


In my heart of hearts, I am generally content with the work-related choices I've made. I chose my degrees based on interest and such-as-it-is aptitude without really any consideration for money or perhaps even job security. I have done what I wanted to do. And I do believe that in our current system teachers are partly compensated in time: I work thirty-six weeks of the year, officially, and I value the time that I seem to have paid for with a proportionally smaller paycheck. When teachers bitch about money I tend to be a little dismissive: we all knew the deal, and so many work much harder for much less. It feels wrong to complain, but I lose a little perspective when I take a hard look at my W-2. Hoo boy. The state teacher retirement fund better remain solvent; that's all I have to say. This is no way to get ahead. 

0 Comments: