left our open thread: planning

Monday, August 10, 2009

planning


I sit in a meeting, out of my element, surrounded by ninth grade teachers brainstorming ideas for some not-exactly-a-study-hall class, and amidst the talk of panel discussions and get-to-know-you games and parent contacts and syllabus, I feel a vague sense of shake-my-head wonder drift into my expression: how simple to plan what they'll all understand, at least in the most basic, bottomline way. When at least they all speak English.

Not that I have any interest, really, in teaching what we try not to call "regular" classes. "Content," we try to say, accent on the first syllable, not even, "mainstream," avoiding some kind of presumed insult. I prefer a different standard. And as soon as I figure out how I'm going to do something productive for the mishmash of needs --have I mentioned the six language disabled? the new Vietnamese girl? the 14 freshmen and 3 transfers? the selective mute? -- that populate my ever-growing class lists, I'm sure I'll remember why.

0 Comments: