left our open thread: an appeal

Saturday, May 09, 2009

an appeal


"You may not know," wrote my friend, as she shared something I'd never heard. "Jeff is a survivor of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Eventually a bone marrow transplant saved his life." And there it was, crystalized. In two sentences: everything. A man who is a force for good in the world, a husband, a father, a Packer fan, a pastor, a brother, a friend, is here, perhaps not only but primarily, because of advances in medicine. A method that was once impossible became his cure: that is what this is about.

For the next five months I will be working toward two substantial goals: training to complete the Nike Women's Marathon and raising four times that expense ($3950, no decimal) for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I joined Team in Training because the opportunity to do something significant for others was as compelling as the potential personal accomplishment: both were challenges I was seeking. I will keep going because I know the cause matters to friends and strangers alike: every life is worth the effort.

Please help make a difference by donating, either through this link or by clicking on the badge at the top of the page.

0 Comments: