left our open thread: a great divide

Sunday, March 15, 2009

a great divide


And this is the difference between us.

A program that provides free eye exams and glasses to kids who need them is, to me, not something to begrudge; it is a reason to be glad. A family who calls to ask how the school can help is a family to be grateful for, not a family to suspect. For once, pride isn't standing between a child and a necessity; for once, someone is willing to ask. And when there is a way to provide, for once, when there is not only the will, well then, good deal. Hallelujah, really. That is another reason we are here.

If I am naive, it's a conscious choice: I know people take advantage. But I also know people are in need. And I know I hope to never become anywhere near so hard-hearted and bitter that I corner someone in the mailroom to gripe about charity that I am not eligible for.

"I bust my butt every day," you say. As if these people don't. As if they don't pay the taxes that you're so sure this write-off is increasing-- a leap that boggles my mind even as I defend the working poor.

"It's for kids!" I point out, nonplussed. We exchange facts as we see them, none making a dent. Soon enough, we part, neither budged. But what I left with, along with diminished opinion, is a fact that even now nags: how could you ever assume I'd ever agree?

0 Comments: